The Rocket Pet Pro and V8 Animal have a lot of similarities as well as a few key differences. They both come with strong suction power and several features designed specifically for homes with one or more pets. This is important since cleaning up pet hair and dander has its’ own challenges, especially for a cordless stick vacuum cleaner. One thing that became evident when comparing these two vacuums: as usual Shark and Dyson have the technology to meet this challenge.
Before starting it is important to note one key quality of today’s cordless offerings. If you aren’t familiar with the latest lithium ion battery technology then you will be surprised to know that these batteries last much longer than you would expect. They provide power to very powerful motors that are on par with a similarly equipped upright vacuum but in a much lighter and more portable body. Both the Rocket and V8 Animal can run for 30 minutes or longer under normal conditions, which we will touch on in more detail below.
We will do a side by side comparison in a variety of categories but before we start here are the main features of both the contenders to give you a general overview and understanding of the cleaning abilities each possesses.
Shark Rocket Pet Pro – Quick Rundown
The Rocket Pet Pro is a unique offering in the rather large Shark vacuum lineup. It is cordless and very lightweight but still has the power to deep clean medium to high pile carpets. The Dirt Engage™ is designed to dig into the carpet fibers to agitate embedded dirt and dust mites. This lets the powerful suction pull the debris right up into the collection bin with minimal effort on your part. Some of the other main features include:
- Self Cleaning Brushroll is truly unique as it actually keeps the pet hair from wrapping around and tangling in the brush during use
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal is a fully sealed filtration system that comes with a HEPA filter to trap dust mites and other allergens inside
- Dirt Engage™ not only works well on carpets but also provides twice the contact area on hard floors as their standard head
- Removable Lithium Ion Battery provides about 40 minutes of fade-free power in the normal power setting
- CleanTouch™ Dirt Ejector lets you empty the high capacity canister without touching any dirt particles
- LED Headlights on the nozzle light up all the floor in front of the vacuum so no area is missed
- Ultra Lightweight Design of just under 7 pounds makes this one of the easiest to use and most maneuverable cordless vacuums that can clean all types of floors
Dyson V8 Animal – Main Features
The V8 Animal from Dyson is a powerful cordless vacuum that is purpose built for homes with pets. It has strong enough suction for any floor type and sealed filtration to fully trap any dust that is pulled in. It is one of the most affordable cleaners in the Dyson lineup which has slowly transitioned to from large corded models to cord-free offerings. The V8 was one of their early leaders and the first cordless they offered that could handle entire household cleaning. This is a vast improvement over prior generation cordless vacuums that were little more than powered brooms. Here are the main features you will find on the V8:
- Fully Digital Motor spins up to 110,000 RPMs to generate tremendous suction in such a nimble and lightweight frame
- Two Different Power Modes including MAX for tough embedded dirt and Powerful for a longer cleaning session
- Lithium Ion Battery that is rated to provide about 40 minutes in Powerful Mode (only about 25 minutes using motorized attachment)
- Fully Sealed HEPA provides whole machine filtration to remove more than 99% of all allergens including pet dander and dust mites
- Combination and Crevice Tools can tackle various surfaces and tight spaces that the larger cleaning head cannot reach
- Mini Motorized Tool works great in handheld mode to remove stubborn pet hair from upholstery and bedding
- 2 Tier Radial Cyclones are 15 individual cyclones that work together to create strong centrifugal forces to remove tiny dirt particles from the air
- Certified Asthma and Allergy Friendly by the AAFA which gives you confidence that is was proven by third party tests to remove allergens from your home
For a cordless vacuum to be rated high for pets it MUST HAVE excellent HEPA filtration. This is important because it means the filters are rated to trap the smallest of organisms called allergens. They do this via a complex web of fibers that use a variety of means depending on the size of the particle. Allergens like dust mites and pet dander can trigger a reaction to those with allergies or even asthma so it’s important to remove them while cleaning.
The Shark Rocket Pet Pro has what they call their Anti-Allergen Complete Seal. This essentially uses a HEPA filter and fully sealed system to not only trap 99% of the smallest of dirt particles but also keep them from escaping. A sealed system means it is designed in such a way that virtually no air can escape while traveling along the pathway. Bagless upright vacuums of the past had this problem as they would let a percentage of the air (and dirt) escape during use but modern cordless vacuum cleaners like the Shark have solved this.
The Dyson V8 Animal uses a similar design as the Rocket in that it has a sealed whole machine HEPA filtration system. It is also rated to capture over 99% of allergens down to 0.3 microns in size which encompasses the particles you will encounter in a home with pets. The Dyson is also certified asthma and allergy friendly using several strict measurements by the AAFA. While either of these vacuums will remove pet dander and other particles that are especially prevalent in households with animals, it still is important to note just how well they accomplish it. Some of the cheaper brands certainly cannot stand up to either the Pet Pro or V8.
Another important quality of any vacuum intended for whole household cleaning is suction power. While cordless vacuums traditionally had been lacking in this category that is no longer the case. Lithium ion batteries have really allowed them to keep constant suction for longer periods of time (more on that below). The Shark uses strong suction along with their Dirt Engage™ system to allow the brushroll to dig down into the carpet fibers. This agitates embedded dust mites so the machine can pull them up into the filter and collection bin. Combine this with a self cleaning brush that repels hair and you have a really nice system for cleaning all the messes that pets can leave behind.
The V8 Animal is slightly more powerful than the Pet Pro but that isn’t surprising as Dyson is always known for sheer power. The digital motor spins at up to 110,000 RPMs to generate tremendous force inside the machine. 15 small cyclones are positioned along the pathway to help guide the air while also trapping microscopic dirt before it even reaches the filters. With the V8 you get no clogging and a lot of constant suction which is why it was rated the most powerful cordless vacuum when it was first introduced (now overtaken by their V10 and V11 models). But for this side by side comparison the Dyson gets a slight edge in the power department.
Battery technology has improved tremendously in the cordless vacuum industry and is really the main reason why they are so popular today. Both the Shark Rocket and Dyson V8 come with lithium ion batteries that are rated to provide up to 40 minutes of runtime, though this is under lower power settings. You can expect either to give you 30 plus minutes under typical vacuuming conditions which includes most carpets. The real benefit of lithium ion is this technology gives you fade free power right up until the batteries are drained.
While the battery specs on both vacuums seem similar there is one big difference. The Shark Pet Pro has a removable pack that can be charged while off the machine. The advantage really comes when you have a larger house and opt to buy a second battery, basically doubling the operating time to over an hour. As long as both batteries are fully charged you will have much more capacity than you would with the Dyson. This is why, especially for larger homes, the Shark takes this category.
Both these cordless vacuum cleaners can tackle your entire household including all types of carpets. The Shark Rocket is recommended for larger homes that have a variety of floors including tile, laminate, and wood. It doesn’t quite have the power of the V8 but it makes up for it with ingenuity (tangle free brushroll), attachments, and detachable batteries. It is a remarkable machine for the relatively low purchase price. Click here to visit our recommended supplier for current pricing and consumer reviews.
The Dyson V8 reigns supreme in the power category. For those homes with more carpets it would be the recommended choice as the suction is always strong and the internal cyclones keep the machine from clogging. Dyson is the first major manufacturer to embrace cordless technology and their models are always among the best in the industry. For more information including prices and detailed specifications, click here to go to our recommended store.