The technology powering today’s cordless stick vacuums has never been better. You can find a machine that is capable of cleaning ALL the floors in your home (carpets, tile, hardwood, …) without being tied to an electric outlet. Will the battery actually hold up to entire household cleaning you might be wondering? The answer is a resounding YES, as the latest lithium ion batteries can provide as much as 60 minutes of runtime with almost no fade in suction power. Both the Samsung Jet 75 and Dyson V10 models are built for just this and more. But how do they compare to each other and is there a clear winner?
With our comparison we will answer those questions by putting them side by side in a variety of categories. We’ll first list out the main features of both the Jet vacuum and V10 so you are a bit more familiar with them. You will quickly see that there are some differences but also a lot of similarities. Some times the answer is very apparent as one machine is simply better than the other, but oftentimes it comes down to the specific cleaning needs of the individual. Now let’s take a more detailed look at these 2 powerful competitors so you can make an informed buying decision!
Samsung Jet 75 Features
The Samsung Jet 75 is a full sized cordless stick vacuum with an ultra lightweight design of just over 6 pounds. It is much lighter than a typical upright vacuum which means you can carry it from room to room with almost no effort. This also makes it easy to use an attachment to clean hard to reach spaces like ceilings, curtains, and blinds. Don’t think this means it doesn’t have the power to deep clean carpets as the Jet Cyclone™ motor gives a consistent and powerful suction when you need it most (more on that below).
Here are the main features found on this popular stick vacuum cleaner:
- 5-Layer Filtration System is rated to capture 99.999% of the smallest of allergens like pet dander, dust mites, and mold spores as the air travels through. This means the air indoors will be healthier to breathe, especially for those with indoor allergies.
- Large Capacity Dust Bin holds 0.8 liters of dirt which is larger than your typical stick model. The result of this is fewer trips to the garbage during those whole household cleaning sessions.
- Removable Lithium Ion Battery gives you as much as 60 minutes of runtime on a charge when using a non motorized attachment. Those with a larger home can purchase an extra battery for twice the runtime.
- Multicyclonic Suction is rated at about 200 air watts which along with optimized airflow can remove all embedded dirt from the carpet fibers. The clog reducing cyclones keep a constant flow without the worry of clogging anywhere along the way.
- Digital Display will quickly provide an update to the status of the cordless vacuum. This includes notifications, power level, brush type, and any alerts that need your immediate attention.
- Mini Motorized Tool makes it easy to remove pet hair and fine dust from furniture, bedding, and other surfaces. It is small enough to fit into tight spaces that the full sized configuration cannot.
- 2 in 1 Charging Station will re-charge the battery when not in use while also holding the various attachments.
- Fully Washable Filters are quick to remove and easy to rinse off on a regular basis. This will keep the Jet vacuum operating at peak performance while prolonging the life of the motor.
Here is a nice video that demonstrates all of its’ capabilities:
Dyson V10 Features
The ultra powerful Dyson V10 is one of the most capable cordless vacuums in this price range. It has come a long way from their original cordless model and is a great example of the dedication they have towards cord-free technology. Dyson has always been known for their excellent filtration and extreme suction power throughout their entire lineup, and the V10 definitely doesn’t disappoint there. With the internal cyclone design that made their larger upright models so popular, the V10 will actually generate enough force (79,000 G) to completely separate microscopic particles from the air.
Here are the other features that make this one of the most popular stick vacuums sold today:
- Digital V10 Motor is rated to be more than 20% stronger than the prior generation V8 models (though not quite as strong as their V11). It has more than enough suction to deep clean any carpets.
- Torque Drive Cleaner Head is designed to transfer generated torque more efficiently to push the nylon bristles down into the carpet fibers, which agitates embedded dirt before pulling it up.
- 7 Cell Lithium Ion Battery gives about 40 minutes of runtime with the soft roller head (on Absolute model) and about 35 minutes with the Torque Drive head (on Animal, Motorhead, and Absolute models).
- Whole Machine HEPA Filtration is a fully sealed system that will remove 99.99% of allergens down to about 0.3 microns in size.
- Three Power Modes including I, II, and Max so you can only use as much of the battery as needed. The Max mode is great for those deep messes that need more than a typical vacuum cleaner can provide.
- Wall Mount Docking Station has a drop in design so you can quickly recharge when not in use. It will also store the attachments so you can keep everything in one organized place.
- Straight Line Configuration lines up the motor, bin, and cyclones so the air has fewer bends to traverse on the way through. This is an efficient design that maximizes power output.
If you are comparing cordless stick vacuums that are designed for entire household cleaning, you really need to make sure the batteries are up to the challenge. Both the Jet 75 and Dyson V10 have lithium ion batteries that they say provide up to 60 minutes of runtime but the real time is closer to 40 minutes. This is fine though considering you don’t typically run your vacuum for that long in a constant manner. The amount of runtime will vary depending on which attachments and type of floor you are cleaning (carpet being the most intensive). And a good quality about this type of battery is it gives you fade-free power right up until it is virtually drained. This is a big improvement over first generation cordless vacuums that would slowly lose their effectiveness.
One main difference between these 2 brands is the Samsung has easily removable batteries while the Dyson does not. You can simply detach and plug in the unit found on the Jet 75, and even purchase an extra battery should your house need that long of a runtime. While most homes don’t really have the need for multiple batteries the Samsung at least gives you the option. This is something to consider when you are choosing between these 2 popular stick cleaners.
High quality filtration is another important quality when looking for a vacuum that can clean your entire home. Both these models are rated to remove more than 99% of the smallest of particles from the air but they do it in different ways. The Samsung Jet 75 has a 5 layer filtration system including the main cyclone (for larger particles), the metal mesh grill filter (for medium sized particles), the Jet cyclone (to maximize suction and begin removing finer particles), the washable micro filter and ultra fine filters (for capturing any tiny particles that still remain). It’s a well thought out design from start to finish.
Dyson does things just a little bit differently in their quest to remove all the dust from the air. It all starts with the straight “in-line” configuration that positions the motor, dust bin, and cyclone setup in a straight line. The air has no bends so the amount of force is maximized, helping the process of removing microscopic particles from the air and flinging them into the bin. The fully sealed system keeps all the dust inside and the lifetime washable HEPA filters trap everything that remains as the air travels through. The end result on the V10 is the same as on the Samsung: the air that is expelled back into your home is essentially free from all forms of dust and dirt.
When you think of cordless stick vacuums you probably don’t think of suction power but that must be a consideration when buying a new machine. Today’s cord-free offerings have just as much (and in many cases more) power than larger and much heavier corded upright vacuum cleaners. As mentioned above the V10 comes with a newly designed digital motor that produces even more power than the V8. When combined with the 14 cyclones it can generate enough G forces to physically remove the particles from the air. This makes the filtration last longer while prolonging the times you need to clean the filters out. And all of this suction force is pushed down right to the floor head, effectively working the bristles into the carpet fibers. The whole system works great together but really it all starts with a powerful motor.
The Samsung Jet also quite a bit of suction power, a surprising amount if you have never vacuumed with it before. It too comes with a newly designed digital Inverter motor that was built to maximize energy savings while putting out enough power to deep clean carpets. When combined with the Jet cyclone technology you get a constant suction that has enough force to keep the dirt and debris from building up on the filter. It is similar to Dyson in that regard as you get more time between needing to wash the filter but don’t suffer from any degradation of power during use. It’s a remarkable improvement over prior generation vacuums and a big reason why they both are rated so highly in their ability to clean carpeting.
One unique feature that is available with the Samsung Jet 75 is the optional spinning sweeper brush. This is an extra attachment that you can purchase but one that works great on hard floors. You can choose from dual spinning wet pads for shining up the surface or dry pads to attract and remove fine dust. While the attachment is not cheap it is a great investment for those homes with a lot of hard floors like tile, laminate, and linoleum to clean on a regular basis.
The Dyson V10 has multiple models to choose from depending on your specific needs. The Animal is recommended for those homes with one or more pets as it comes with enough suction and attachments to remove even the most stubborn pet hair from multiple surfaces. The Absolute has all of the same attachments as the Animal but also comes with their Soft Roller head. This works great on smooth surfaces as the roller is designed to attract fine dust that might normally be blown around by other vacuums. It’s a really nice attachment to have for smooth surfaces and would be recommended for homes that have them.
Both of these cordless vacuums have proven to be worthy of cleaning larger homes with multiple types of flooring. The Dyson V10 is slightly more powerful and has multiple configurations to choose from, depending on your cleaning needs. It also has a more proven track record as their models are designed to last more than 10 years under typical cleaning applications. One knock is it isn’t easy to charge the battery if you don’t mount the wall docking station but for most people a wall mount is the ideal setup. It’s a great choice and would be recommended for small to medium sized homes. Click here to visit our recommended online supplier for current pricing and availability.
If you have a larger home and think you would need more than one battery on a regular basis then the Samsung Jet 75 would make more sense. You can simply purchase an extra ‘click-in’ battery and have it charging while you are vacuuming with the other. While it doesn’t have quite as much suction power as the Dyson it is close, and has more than enough to deep clean carpets. When compared side by side you can see each model has a lot of similarities and only a couple key differences. In terms of price, the Samsung is usually found to be the cheaper of the two so that could be a deciding factor as well. While it doesn’t have the longer track record as the V10, Samsung has been building vacuums (and other home appliances) for many years. For more information including consumer reviews and today’s prices, click here to visit our favorite ecommerce store.