Miele is known for building high quality vacuum cleaners that typically last 20 years or more. Their lineup consists of uprights, lightweight stick vacuums, and even robot models that can clean on a pre-determined schedule. However, there is no doubt that the Miele canister is what really started it all for the company. They have many different models to choose from, each with unique qualities that set it apart from the rest. So how do you know which one is best for your home? Hopefully this comparison will clear up and answer any questions you may have.
While there are some big differences between the C1, C2, and C3 canister vacuums they do share some things in common. All of their canisters come with what they call their ‘Compact System’. This space saving design fits the hose neatly on one side with the wand and head on the other so you can store it in small spaces when not in use. One touch automatic electric cable rewind also keeps the long cord out of your way, without the hassle of manually winding it up.
Another great improvement they have added to their entire canister lineup is their ‘Comfort Handle’. This handle is ergonomically designed to keep the pressure off your wrist during long vacuuming sessions. The fingertip electronic controls let you quickly adjust the settings without removing your hand from the machine. A high performance LED light is built into the front to completely light up the carpet or hardwood in front of the floorhead.
Let’s take a look at the main features of each model and breakdown what types of cleaning jobs each is really designed to do.
Complete C3 – Full Sized and Powerful
The Miele Complete C3 lineup consists of their largest, most powerful canister vacuums. When you think of full household cleaning with the power for all types of carpeting this is the vacuum you would be looking at. Some of the main features include:
- Large 4.76 quart dustbag holds a lot of dirt and dust particles which is perfect for long vacuuming sessions
- Powerful 1200 watt motor provides all the suction you need for deep cleaning your floors
- Optional Electrobrush is electrically powered to pull embedded dirt up from the deepest of carpet fibers
- Electrobrush has a swivel neck and 5 height adjustments to make cleaning any room an easy task
- Fully sealed AirClean™ filtration traps more than 99% of microscopic allergens
- Stainless steel telescopic wand is built to last for many years, much longer than plastic found on cheaper brands
- 42.6 foot operating radius is the largest in Miele’s canister lineup
- Optional dedicated hard floor brush is wide and won’t damage your tile, hardwood, or laminate surfaces
The C3 Complete models are recommended for all types of flooring. If you have medium to high pile carpets it is recommended to buy one with their powered Electrobrush as the brushes work just like a full sized upright. It is quite light as well, weighing in at around 16 pounds with the on-board accessories installed. HEPA filtration is standard which is a must for those households with family members who suffer from asthma or allergies. Click here to visit our recommended supplier for current pricing and shipping options.
Complete C2 – Hard Floor Cleaner
The Complete C2 Hard Floor from Miele is a full sized canister vacuum without the big cost of their other powerful models. It is very efficient, even at full power, and doesn’t put out the noise that you would expect. It is lightweight so you can easily carry it up and down stairs which is important for most modern households. Designed almost exclusively for hard floors it comes with a couple great attachments for a variety of surfaces. Some of the important or more notable features are:
- Miele SBD285-3 Combination Rug and Floor Tool works well on bare floors as well as lower pile carpeting and area rugs
- 6 speed settings on the motor work on carpets, hardwoods, curtains, and more
- Very durable crush proof hose is ergonomically designed to go where you need it without giving your muscle cramps in your arms
- Stainless steel wand is a testament to the durability of their vacuums
- Quiet power setting lets you dial the suction way back when not needed so the little ones can sleep while you are vacuuming
- Hyclean GN dust bags and their Super AirClean filter work together to trap virtually all dirt particles as the air passes through
- On-board integrated tools include a crevice tool, an upholstery tool and a dusting brush for all of those non-floor surfaces
As the name of the C2 Complete states, it is designed primarily for hard floors but it can handle some lower pile carpets as well. The SBB300-3 Parquet brush is a great attachment in that it will go flat under furniture or right up against kick jams and chair legs. It will twist in 90 degrees to make sure any dust bunnies do not roll away. There really aren’t any better canister vacuum cleaners in their robust lineup that can handle smooth floors than this model. Click here to read consumer reviews and check current shipping options.
Compact C2 – Lightweight With Ample Power
The Miele Compact C2 lineup is built with space savings in mind, without any sacrifice in power or cleaning ability. A slightly smaller dustbag capacity than the larger C3 at around 3.7 quarts but it is still large enough most cleaning sessions. The smaller capacity is due in large part to the compact design. It still uses their potent 1200 watt Vortex motor so it has more than enough suction for the thickest of carpeting, provided you buy one with their Electro Plus attachment. Here are some of the highlights of this machine:
- Compact and nimble design, the C2 is easy to maneuver in tight spaces and even easier to store when you are done cleaning
- Parquet floorhead nozzle that attaches direct to the extension wand, perfect for large open hard floors
- Ample cleaning radius of 33 feet is smaller than the C3 but still comparable to other full sized vacuums
- 3 standard on-board tools including dusting brush, crevice tool, and upholstery tool are secured by a unique VarioClip to keep them out of the way when not in use
- Optional Electro Plus floorhead is a fully powered brushroll (not air driven) that works great on all types of carpets
- AirClean™ filtration system traps over 99.9% of all lung damaging allergens, fully sealed design keeps them inside which is unlike most bagless cleaners
- Built and engineered to stand up to 20 years or more of typical household use
- Rotary dial power adustment (foot controls are standard on their bigger models) lets you easily adjust the suction for whatever cleaning job you need
The Compact C2 is really designed for all types of floors. If you have thick or high piled carpets just be sure to get a model with their Electro+ attachment so you can pull embedded dirt from any carpeting. Canister vacuums are perfect for a variety of floors as they are easy to move, easy to change attachments, and powerful enough for all rugs. For more information including current price levels and lists of options, click here to visit our recommended online store.
Classic C1 – Another Light and Practical Machine
The Miele Classic C1 is their base model but that doesn’t mean it isn’t adept at cleaning. On the contrary, it has the same quality and ingenuity built-in that their more expensive models have but at a lower purchase price (in most cases). Some of the main differences are most of the C1 models don’t have fully sealed filtration or integrated attachment holders and are slightly smaller in stature. Here is a quick rundown of the main features so you can decide which one is the best choice for your home cleaning needs:
- Operating radius of 29.5 feet is adequate for the average sized room
- Optional Electro Plus brush (on Home Care – formerly Titan) can handle medium and some high pile carpets but it lacks the size of their C3 machines
- AirClean HEPA filters to remove pet dander, dust mites, and pollen from the air inside your home
- Cat and Dog model has charcoal activated filter to remove pet odors from the air as well as a handheld mini hair turbo brush
Depending on the configuration and tools you select, the Classic C1 can be used on all floor types as well. It is nimble and the caster wheels move it in every direction with ease. It is also very quiet, usually under 80 decibels even at full power. This is surprising given how much ability this vacuum really has. Click here to compare the various models in their lineup with pricing, and to read consumer reviews for more detailed information.